I know what you’re thinking; it’s Thursday and I’m out of ideas on what to eat. I also know that you don’t want to order take out, after all, it’s not quite the weekend, yet. And as for slaving over the cooker, forget it; it’s almost the weekend. You barely have enough energy to make it to work tomorrow.
Sounds familiar? Good. Let me introduce you to my delicious smoked mackerel salad. Play your cards right and you could have this lovely, tasty meal ready in er, five minutes. Seriously.
- Shop-bought smoked mackerel. Your local fishmonger will do just as well. Check out this luvvie from Aldi:
- Whatever salad or vegetables that you have languishing in your fridge
- Some olive oil
- Potatoes (optional)
- Black pepper.
- I like to warm up my smoked mackerel in the oven before eating (180C for about 3-5 mins usually does the trick)
- If you like your smoked mackerel cold or room temperature, that’s cool – you’re the boss
- Prepare your salad (or boil your vegetables/potatoes)
- When the boiled vegetables/potatoes are ready, drain
- Put the mackerel and salad/vegetables on plate
- Sprinkle salad/vegetables with olive oil, a little salt and black pepper (or salad dressing, if that’s your thing)
- Serve and enjoy.
Here’s one I made earlier. It went very well with a glass of red (and whosoever tells me that I cannot drink red wine with a fish-based meal shall be stoned. My food, my rules, my gullet, aight?).
Smoked mackerel: how do you eat yours?