I don’t really watch English-speaking films. I prefer foreign-language ones and always have done. Overall, I think they’re better written, produced and acted. Sure, there are some truly awful ones out there, just as there are some beautifully made English language films (Blue Valentine comes to mind).
So, anyway, in no particular order, these are the must-see foreign language films I’ve enjoyed in the last few years. I’ll try and keep this list updated.
- I am Love, starring Tilda Swinton (Italian)
- Wadja (Saudi Arabian. Read my review)
- The Stoning of Soraya M (Iranian)
- Rust and Bone (French)
- The Lemon Tree (Arabic, Hebrew, English)
- Brotherhood (Korean)
- The Secret in their Eyes (Spanish, Argentinian)
- Rang De Basanti (Indian)
- A Separation (Iranian)
- The Raid (Indonesian)
There are some oldies as well:
- Shaolin Soccer (Chinese)
- Nikita (French)
- Manon Des Sources (French)
- The Wedding Banquet (Taiwanese)
- Red Sorghum (Chinese)
Seen the films? Tell me what you think.